Monday, October 6, 2008

Sorry about lasts weeks lame letter, we had an emial natzie try to cut down our
time to fifteen minutes. So i will make up with it this week.
Wednesday was a great day because of the great turn around that i had. We have
to teach lessons to fake families everyday, and it really helps to give those
whole lessons in spanish. But i was amazed with how much i actually contributed
to the lesson this week. Usually i share a scripture and bear my testimony, but
this week my companion has had me do ALL the talking in the lessons. My spanish
has picked up from it, and i am so thankful for the hard times at first beacuse
they have forced me to work harder and try to accomplish this language even
faster. We usually give two lessons in one day, and the night one was not
looking too good for me. I was super tired and didnt feel like teaching, but
then a miracle occurred. I prayed for help and recieved it instantly! I gave
pretty much the whole lesson in spanish and understood what my companion and the
other elders were saying. It was one of those moments where you feel just amazing. Actually
those moments have been happening a lot while i have been here. Everytime i
have taught someone i can feel the divine help make sure that i say the correct
things and get my point across. I cannot begin to express the love i have felt
for the saviour these last few weeks. Everynight i pray i feel the spirit guide
and help me. I only wish that i could put into words the gratitude that i feel
for my saviour and his atonement. Knowing that he knows my frustration and
knows exactly how i feel makes it so easy to pray to Him and just pour out my
heart. It is just incomprehensible to say the least.
Thursday marked the one week point in Peru. And also the 1 month in the MTC.
It is crazy to believe that the time is already gone, not to mention everyday
feels like that. I try more earnestly to make more out of the days, so i dont
feel like anything is wasted. I am also setting goals and things that i want to
accomplish on my mission, and none of them include baptisms or conversions.
Friday was a very normal go to class, eat, and sleep type day. But with each
and everyone of these passing days i learn that much more spanish. But along
with the spanish we have been learning a TON about how to teach the people here.
The insight from my teachers has been a great success, because they both have
served here on their missions.
Saturday has been the greatest day of my mission. We went trackting! And
teaching! So we got on a bus and drove for about an hour to a tiny branch. And
while we were there we went with a member to new converts, less actives, non
members alike and taught them the gospel. I was also humbled to the max. We
went to the poorest part of Lima, where floors were a luxury, not to mention
chairs and beds. Also, none of the houses we visited had solid roofs, most were
non existent or tim sheets of metal. I have never seen such poorness, yet so
much happiness. Not one of the kids had a scowl on their face, they were playing games and loving life. Growing up in affluent areas has been nice, but
i needed to see the world for what it really is. One thing that i want to learn
from these people is how they are so happy with so little. They could care less
about wordly goods, and focus on their families and things of that sort. If i
was only to learn how they are so happy with so little on my mission, then i
dont think that i would have wasted 2 years. These people are remarkable.
Unfortunately i dont have any stories to tell about my teaching because i said
so little and we didnt see any crazy people. But we did see a lot of dogs and
it made me miss piper lol.
Sunday was another great sunday. It really helped me to recharge and get ready
for this week. Monday was also another kick back day with not much.
Today we had to go to Interpol and finish our IDs and what not. But we did go to
a gas station afterwards and get a TON of american candy. There is no such
thing as sugar in the food here, it is all pretty bland not to mention we dont know what it is. So mom thats why some money is already
gone, but not too much. I did sell a lot to my district and they officially love
me because of it haha.
Well that is my letter. I love you all so very much, and i did recieve the hand
written letters, and i love them. I will keep them with me my whole mission.
You guys are incredible. Thank you to Monique and brandon, Mckay tingey, the
Chapmans, and everyone else that wrote. I am sorry that i cant send you
individual letters, but yours are amazing and have helped me so much. I love
you all so immensly.


Your Missionary,
Elder Washburn

No comments: